Trailer for sale
ICOM M422 radio
Father's Day on Lanier
Topic Options
#30565 - 08/04/16 01:48 PM Trolling Motor Problems
TheMilkman Offline
"Toad"

Loc: Duluth, GA
Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 iPilot (remote only, no foot pedal) started acting all crazy. Wouldn't go up and down in speed, it was either full on (jackrabbit), or full off. Called Minn Kota (not under warranty any more) and they said sounded like a Control Board, which I already gathered from reading online. Ordered one, not from Minn Kota though. Everyone online, including Minn Kota, don't offer returns on them because people fry them (hook up 24v motor to a 12v board, etc). Got it in the mail and the thing is literally plug and play, it's hard to mess it up. Hooked it all up and it ran like a champ for 5 minutes in my garage. Got to the ramp the next day and DEAD. Battery meter gauge on the TM light up and says full battery, so it's getting power. Doesn't beep when I turn it on and the remote just lights up all icons when I press a button and then they go out. I'm getting 12 volts at the Control Board, coming from my dedicated TM battery (relatively new, used it a few times). Anybody have any experience with these things? Is there another fuse (on the trolling motor itself) that could have blown somehow? I thought maybe a wire came loose during trailering, but that's not it. I'm very confused, because it worked, and now it doesn't. Now, when I hook up the old Control Board, it won't even do what it used to do, it's just dead as well. I have a multimeter, but don't really know what to test for. Any help is appreciated. On the bright side, I've been out 2 times after work now with no trolling motor and caught 8 fish. Maybe I should throw it in the lake. Thanks.

#30567 - 08/05/16 02:38 PM Re: Trolling Motor Problems [Re: TheMilkman]
Obsession79 Offline
"Trophy"

Loc: Lowranceville
I had similar symptoms with my old power drive. Opened up the head unit and found the wires had twisted and bunched up so tightly that they were overheating, causing it to shut itself down. I think there was some melting going on as well. Something worth looking at perhaps before upgrading to the Terrova, love mine.

#30568 - 08/08/16 02:25 PM Re: Trolling Motor Problems [Re: Obsession79]
Troutman3000 Offline
"Line Breaker"

Ive delt with stuff like this but a new control board always fixed the problem. What generation is your V2, does it have the round plugs or rectangular. A good way to by-pass the control board and check the motor is to take a battery charger and dis-connnect the leads in the head and run straight power to them, if it runs it is likely the board. I had the same issue and it would not run with direct power so I took the foot apart and found that the wires had rubbed together, melted and shorted everything out. I had to fix that first, then a new board and ran great after that, also any evidence of water in the foot? YOu can text me 7702627148 if you need to.

#30569 - 08/08/16 02:26 PM Re: Trolling Motor Problems [Re: Obsession79]
Troutman3000 Offline
"Line Breaker"

Originally Posted By: Obsession79
I had similar symptoms with my old power drive. Opened up the head unit and found the wires had twisted and bunched up so tightly that they were overheating, causing it to shut itself down. I think there was some melting going on as well. Something worth looking at perhaps before upgrading to the Terrova, love mine.

The powerdrive is usually dependable and easy to work on but I just got tired of how heavy it is going up and down. I saved my pennies and got the ulterra, money well spent imo.

Our Sponsors

Striper Fishing Guide

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod