Trailer for sale
ICOM M422 radio
Father's Day on Lanier
Topic Options
#30359 - 01/17/16 04:55 AM Vanns Tavern
Kepler Offline
"Wall Hanger"

Loc: Suwanee
Second big fish I've hooked at Vanns in the last week and a half. Last one got away at the bank, but with some help this one didn't. 42inch 26lb. Surprised the fish are in the mouth of the creeks.

Edited by Kepler (01/17/16 05:01 AM)

#30360 - 01/17/16 12:25 PM Re: Vanns Tavern [Re: Kepler]
Striper Sniper2 Offline
"Line Breaker"

Loc: Banks County
Congrats Sam, I went by there yesterday and a couple of guys must have had 30 rods out. With the lake up so much some of the regular bank fishing areas may be hard to set up at now.

#30361 - 01/17/16 10:04 PM Re: Vanns Tavern [Re: Striper Sniper2]
Kepler Offline
"Wall Hanger"

Thanks Dave. Usually at night nobody is out there, but this is one time that I was glad there were other people around. I needed some help getting this one out of the water. But you're right, sometimes it's hard to get a place to fish. I take two rods usually, sometimes three. Seems like there ought to be a limit in the parks.

I took that fish to the taxidermist. Kind of felt bad, but I had stressed him out pretty bad. I was just about ready to quit and had taken the trout I had left over to these other guys when he hit. He got a good run in before I got to the rod because I was about pretty far away from my rods. Anyway, the taxidermist measured him at 42 inches and weighed him at 26lbs. Seems a little light for a fish that long.

I hooked one last week that I believe was bigger, but lost him in the bushes next to the bank. Got impatient and pulled on the line with my hand and ended up breaking the line. The fish was about arm length away, but I didn't bring a net, so he got away.

#30362 - 01/17/16 11:30 PM Re: Vanns Tavern [Re: Kepler]
Logan Offline
"Trophy"

Loc: Lilburn
That is a great catch. How long and how late do you stay out at night like that.
I was surprised too that a 42 inch fish would only weigh 26 pounds.
Logan

#30364 - 01/18/16 03:47 AM Re: Vanns Tavern [Re: Logan]
Kepler Offline
"Wall Hanger"

Caught that fish around 8PM. And I do think the weight is low. I saw him measure the fish and it was 42 inches. Didn't see the scale. Scale could have been off, but the fish is a bit slim. And, it was over an hour before we weighed it.

#30365 - 01/18/16 12:33 PM Re: Vanns Tavern [Re: Kepler]
Striper Sniper2 Offline
"Line Breaker"

Loc: Banks County
He's been on a diet, you can't ever tell about these fish. Some are short and fat some long and skinny. I remember we caught a 42 inch in a tournament and it was 28lb I think. Will probably look good on the wall.

#30370 - 01/23/16 02:29 AM Re: Vanns Tavern [Re: Striper Sniper2]
stripermack Offline
"Wall Hanger"

Loc: CUMMING GA
That is a good looking fish! We have caught a few this year that are long and skinny.

Moderator:  Capt. Clay C 
Our Sponsors

Striper Fishing Guide

Who's Online
1 registered (klag), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod