Father's Day on Lanier
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#29787 - 04/30/15 03:23 PM Question about Center Consoles
Logan Offline
"Trophy"

Loc: Lilburn
Guys,
As I have been looking at used CC boats I see a lot that have the chrome railing that circles the front of the boat. What are the options, if I purchase one of these, of installing a trolling motor. Seems like either removing the entire railing or maybe cutting out the part of the railing that would block raising and lowering of the trolling motor are the only options. Any ideas?

#29789 - 04/30/15 04:55 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Logan]
PLAN B Offline
"Line Breaker"

Loc: America
Most of the ones with a railings on the bow are offfshore boats or deep V boats. Stick to a bay boat unless you want to go offshore. If so, you have to cut the railing assuming the boom is long enough to reach the water.

#29790 - 04/30/15 05:01 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: PLAN B]
Logan Offline
"Trophy"

Anyone have strong feelings about Sea Fox CC. It is a little longer than I was interested in at 23 feet.
Logan

#29791 - 04/30/15 05:09 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Logan]
tomtom Offline
"Toad"

There is a way to use the trolling motor but you do not raise it like you would normally without the railing. You just raise the trolling motor straight up manually. Here is a picture that might show you enough to see what I am talking about.

#29792 - 04/30/15 05:49 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: tomtom]
PLAN B Offline
"Line Breaker"

TomTom: You are the man. That picture is epic.

Logan: Sea Fox is a mid-grade boat. Should be fine for Lanier. I'd be more concerend about the motor than the boat.

#29795 - 05/01/15 03:30 AM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: PLAN B]
Capt. Clay C Offline
"Line Breaker"

I agree with Plan B. Go with a bay boat unless you plan on going offshore or you are going to be buying another boat next year.

#29804 - 05/03/15 06:52 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Capt. Clay C]
Logan Offline
"Trophy"

Sorry guys but I have done several searches to try to find out the big difference between the bay boat and one with a Deep V. I understand that the deep V is more of a offshore boat but how does that translate into being a poor choice for a lake boat. Talked to the owner the other day about the amount of use in salt water and he has had it 3 years (lives on Lanier) according to him he has taken to the saltwater about 6 times. Knowing that if I was interested in the boat I would have it checked out. Also according to him he bought it from a guy that lived on an Alabama lake who had bought it new (2005 model).
Certainly do not want to make a bad choice but just having a hard time finding information on the pro's and con's of Bay VS Deep V.

#29805 - 05/04/15 12:39 AM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Logan]
Striper Sniper2 Offline
"Line Breaker"

Loc: Banks County
Sea fox should be a fine boat, does it have a 4 stroke? Also you will like the 23ft, You will have plenty of room to grow into.

#29807 - 05/04/15 03:14 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Logan]
Troutman3000 Offline
"Line Breaker"

I have a Seafox dual console and it has been fine, its not the top of the line but its not the bottom either. Its a good value boat imo.

#29808 - 05/04/15 04:18 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Troutman3000]
PLAN B Offline
"Line Breaker"

Logan:

A deep V is a much heavier boat. The hull is shaped to cut though waves. They are for offshore. A bay boy doesnít hardly cut through the water unless you get a 22 foot or better. They are made for the bays and flats. My last 24 foot bay boat only needed 11 inches of water to float. Donít plan on going up river in the deep v.

I saw the one on Craigslist you are looking at. The cons to that boat for the lake is the railing, the anchor, and the high side walls. You will have to remove the anchor system and install the tolling motor, the trolling motor wires, and connection mount. That boat isnít going to be wired for a bow mounted trolling motor. The high walls will make it hard to lip fish. Plan on only using a huge net to get fish (I hate nets). You will not be able to lean over the side and wash your hands. The pros is its baddass for offshore fishing. And you will not have to slow down for any waves or wakes. You could hit a 50' Carvers wake in that boat wide open with no problem. The high walls are super safe for small children.

The bay boats con is the rougher ride. The older ones usually have less seating. You can still go offshore in a bay boat under the right conditions. I havenít see any guides using a deep v. They all use bay boats and skiffs for a reason.

#29809 - 05/05/15 01:50 AM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: PLAN B]
Logan Offline
"Trophy"

Thanks, the Sea Fox may be off my list at this point, but still looking. If I am understanding you the major difference between the two is the draft, the V would ride lower in the water.

#29810 - 05/05/15 06:40 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: PLAN B]
Walter Offline
"Pan Size"

I have a deep v CC with bow rails. I have my trolling motor mounted on bow and I can slide it out and get it back in without to much trouble. My minn kota is a 62 inch shaft. But I saw an article in a magazine that you can cut the bow rail in the desired spot and insert a sleeve that will go over or through the rail, can't remember and you drill a hole on each side and install pins that you can remove easily. Was thinking of doing it with mine. Hope this helps.

#29817 - 05/08/15 01:46 AM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Walter]
Capt. Clay C Offline
"Line Breaker"

I am with Plan B. They catch the wind a little more as well. Plus they tend to not have as much walking room. I just feel more closed in with the deeper v. Everyone has different desires, I guess that is why there are so many to choose from in the boat business.

#29882 - 06/07/15 12:02 PM Re: Question about Center Consoles [Re: Capt. Clay C]
Stubby Holda Offline
"Trophy"

Loc: Flowery Branch
My Scout is a deep V with a low railing. Had shop make custom mount for me for bow. See pic. Biggest downside was not pre-wired. Like a bay boat should be. Pro is I've had many a day on Lanier where I was glad to be coming home in a very comfortable boat in rough water. And high freeboard good for kids. A bay boat is probably the better fishing choice if you accept the limits on bad weather/bad water.

And this boat has been 11 mi out in the Atlantic. Not often but cool to know you can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Capt. Clay C 
Our Sponsors

Striper Fishing Guide

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod