Trailer for sale
ICOM M422 radio
Father's Day on Lanier
Topic Options
#29631 - 03/16/15 03:25 AM Lake Russel Chasing The Biguns
JASON PEPPERS Offline
"Toad"

Loc: GOOD HOPE, GA
Me and my brother went to Lake Russel this weekend to try and catch a big girl.Got there Thursday and left Saturday.First time there so I fished Coldwater Creek.Found bait and seen alot of big fish feeding near the bridge.I had a couple of exciting moments when my trout jumped out of the water and did a back flip but no ripping run.I heard the big ones make a false spawn run up Coldwater Creek.Is this true?We used large trout jumbo gizzards and blue backs for ammo.We caught the heck out of some magnum spots but no stripers.The weather was brutal but we fished hard all three days.I'm going back in two weeks any advice would be appreciated on creeks and patterns. THANKS!

#29658 - 03/25/15 02:28 PM Re: Lake Russel Chasing The Biguns [Re: JASON PEPPERS]
wormboy Offline
"Line Breaker"

Loc: Tucker, GA
check out striperboard.com for russell info-- that board tends to have more info on hartwell, russell, and other savannah river lakes.
you may not find that board to be as open for advice as this one, but post for some advice and see what hits.

http://www.fishinglakehartwell.com/ mostly focuses on hartwell, but a lot of the guys up there also fish russell. Much more open to providing advice

One thing I keep hearing about up on Russell is vehicle break-ins at boat ramps, so don't leave anything of value in sight in your truck/car

#29666 - 03/26/15 02:52 AM Re: Lake Russel Chasing The Biguns [Re: wormboy]
JASON PEPPERS Offline
"Toad"

Loc: GOOD HOPE, GA
Thanks for the link. I saw several posts about Hartwell so maybe I can fish there instead. I talked with guide Wendell Wilson and he gave me some advice. Mr. wilson also has a bait shop near Hartwell and Russell that sells blue backs. The address for his bait shop is 2856 Rock Branch Rd. Elberton, GA 30635 if anyone else is planning a trip up there.Its a honor pay store 6 dollars a dozen for BB's. Thanks again for the forum link maybe this will help me land my trophy! Good fishing to all and tight lines.

#29669 - 03/26/15 03:06 PM Re: Lake Russel Chasing The Biguns [Re: JASON PEPPERS]
wormboy Offline
"Line Breaker"

Glad to help. Other than Wendell and a few other private bait sellers scattered around, baitshops in hartwell are non-existent. The only reliable commercial shops are across the line in Anderson-- Rt 24 exit (#11? off I-85)-- The Bait shop is ~ 1-2 mi down on the left; there's a good tackle/bait shop further down on the right past a bridge-- Hartwell Fishing and Marine.
As far as I can tell-- a lot of the guys up there fish farther up on the SC/Seneca River side, so if you're towing a boat it might make sense to get bait at either of these places and launch up there.

#29684 - 03/31/15 08:23 PM Re: Lake Russel Chasing The Biguns [Re: wormboy]
wormboy Offline
"Line Breaker"

I noticed that a new place called Beer and Bobbers is now advertising live bait-- BB's and gizzards--right off I-85 at exit 177 across from Dad's resturant. You should probably call for hours cuz this is run by the smae foks who had a shop in hartwell that didn't open until after 9 am on saturdays...

Moderator:  Capt. Clay C 
Our Sponsors

Striper Fishing Guide

Who's Online
1 registered (klag), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod