Subscription Info.

Recent Photos
Unusual catch for Lanier
Trailer dolly - powered
Trailer for sale
ICOM M422 radio
Father's Day on Lanier
Topic Options
#29091 - 09/20/14 02:32 AM And the Brother of the year Award goes to......
Logan Offline
"Trophy"

Loc: Lilburn
I got a call on Sunday Sept. 7th from my brother. After a little chit chat he says, "You have a big birthday coming up in a few weeks (I will be 60 on September 24) and I am thinking I need to take you to Colorado trout fishing for your Birthday." He continued, "I figure we can leave on the 25th, get to Denver, rent a car and drive to where we want to fish. We will get a guide for two days and then head back home on Sunday.
You need to know that my brother is not a fisherman, he grew up as I did, fishing small ponds, fishing Wildcat Creek (back in the early 60"s when they would stock it early in the week and lock the gate, first fishing was daylight on Saturday morning)but he grew out of it, he fishes about once a year now. I took him on the hooch in July when he was in town and he had a good time but this came out of the blue. He has never used a flyrod or fished with artificials for trout. He is doing this because he know it would be as close to a dream trip as a trip could be for me!
He had made no plans other than to fish in Colorado. I had a hard time sleeping that night, it reminded me of Christmas Eve as a kid, I did not know what the next day would hold but I knew it was going to be good. We have talked, shopped around, called Orvis (Atlanta) & Orvis (Denver) who had great suggestions and were very, very helpful. Our plan is to meet in Denver on next Thursday morning, drive about 3 hours to Basalt, CO which is at the confluence of the Fryingpan River and the Roaring Fork Rivers. We will strike out on our own Thursday afternoon for some time on the Fryingpan (our lodge overlooks the stream) wade fishing and an me offering a rather poor intro to Fly Fishing for my Brother. On Friday we have an Orvis approved guide that will take us on a day long float trip on the Roaring Fork which has more trout per mile than any river in Colorado. Saturday we have a full day guided trip on the Fryingpan which is a tailwater stream about 14 miles long. Both rivers are rated in the top 10 fly fishing rivers in Colorado. The Fryingpan is in the top 10 streams in the lower 48 states.
After fishing we will drive part of the way back to Denver Saturday afternoon, spend the night and head back home Sunday morning. Is that cool or what!!
I am still so excited I don't know what to do with myself. I hope I can post of few pic's upon my return.
So the answer to the question is, The Brother of the Year Award goes to Lewis Carlisle, for going way above and beyond his duty as a brother to treat me to what I expect to be one of the greatest trips of my life.
Logan

#29092 - 09/20/14 02:48 AM Re: And the Brother of the year Award goes to...... [Re: Logan]
Dan D Offline
"Line Breaker"

Loc: Buford, GA
Awesome Logan we will wait too hear what a dream trip looks like!
Good luck buddy and HPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

#29093 - 09/20/14 01:12 PM Re: And the Brother of the year Award goes to...... [Re: Dan D]
Capt. Clay C Offline

"Line Breaker"

Awesome. Keep us posted. Happy for you,

#29097 - 09/20/14 11:23 PM Re: And the Brother of the year Award goes to...... [Re: Capt. Clay C]
TerribleTed Offline
"Trophy"

Loc: Snellville, Georgia
Sounds like an excellent adventure is coming!!

#29098 - 09/21/14 12:17 PM Re: And the Brother of the year Award goes to...... [Re: TerribleTed]
Striper Sniper2 Offline
"Line Breaker"

Loc: Banks County
Great story, hope it all goes as your hoping for.

#29099 - 09/22/14 04:48 PM Re: And the Brother of the year Award goes to...... [Re: Striper Sniper2]
Gone 2 the Dawgs Offline
"Trophy"

Loc: Loganville
Good luck out there, Logan. You guys have fun. I have a weekend trip planned with your nephew the second week of October. Guided trip on the Toccoa on Fri, and Self-guided trip at Smithgall Woods on Sat. Should be fun. I'll try to post as well.

Moderator:  henryc 
Our Sponsors

Striper Fishing Guide

Who's Online
1 registered (klag), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod